Tower's Secondary School Placement Workshops Prepare Students for a Successful Process
Each fall, the Director of Secondary School counseling leads workshops that cover topics relative to Secondary School Admissions and matriculation to local high schools.
The following topics are most relevant for admission into secondary schools:
1. Creation of “Interest and Activity” sheets on which students record their extracurricular pursuits
2. Development of a “Brag Sheet” to be used as a basis for applications and interviews
3. Discussion of each student’s set of criteria for a school, and the development of a spreadsheet to evaluate schools based on these criteria
4. Presentation of typical interview questions plus a few good questions for students to ask during interviews. We also provide helpful hints to take the anxiety out of the interview process.
5. Practice interviews and mock interviews with administration
6. Receive feedback from interviews
SSAT Prep Sessions
In October and November, eighth graders take SSAT prep classes. Test-taking strategies (Should I guess? Should I skip questions?) will be discussed. Sessions will also be devoted to math review, practice with analogies and the writing sample component.
- June-August | Parent Meetings
- August-Early September | Schedule School Visits
- September | Attend Secondary School Fair, Finalize Schedules with Schools
- October-November | Visit Schools, Determine Application List, Request Recommendations
- November-December | Complete Applications, Take the SSAT
- January | Submit Applications
- March 10 | Admission Decisions
- April 10 | Enrollment Decisions
- April-May | Course Options and Registration
- Financial Aid